Sunday, December 1, 2013

little lights

[I have all these notepad icons living on my desktop
thoughts written in times of despair and hope.
I hope this one doesn't get forgotten, it will be a delayed post due to my Internet playing up...again #firstworldproblems. right?]

Tonight I made my way to the grand old Thebarton Theatre and had the honour of watching live, with many others; quite a few many others, the one and only Passenger.
[He also goes by the name Mike]
Now that I have made my way home, done all the pre-bed rituals that inhabit me late at night, I'm not sure how to put the experience into words.
Firstly, he of course is amazingly talented, this is obvious if you just listen to his music.
But it's more than that..
He a good human being. He has done it tough as many other musicians have before him, yet he is still humble even with his fame now.
Now I'm not claiming to know him on any personal level, but this shone through to me tonight.
It was in his chats with his audience, how he wanted to get everyone involved, he joked with us and at him self.
He was real. He had an understanding for life and being in life, in the moment.
Appreciating it for all its glory.
You can hear this in his lyrics.
He knows where he has come from, where he is now, where he wants to be, even if the road is not mapped yet.
He will do it with grace and humility which is refreshing to see.
So I took a little piece of advice from him tonight.
[I've been trying to do this as often as I can by following some Buddhist truths, but a little friendly reminder in the form of Mike Rosenberg is nice]
I drove home, windows down, music off and was in the moment.
Luckily for me the night was just perfect, clear and cool. It made for a pleasant and calming drive home.
I returned home, waited for out sensor light to switch off, then laid down in the middle of our lawn and looked up at the sky.
The stars, even with the light pollution, were beautiful.
[Those little shiny balls of fire always are]
It is hard to remember to look up when we are caught so heavily in ourselves, past and future, to appreciate the now.
Then to my surprise I cried.. Tears for my close friend who has lost someone close to her. For the beauty of the night I just experienced and the good vibes streaming from the stage. For my grandfather who is stubborn and is on a time limit shorter than we expected. For the lovers and for the lost.
It was a strange moment but I took it and ran with it.
I'm trying to be closer to myself, know myself, pass on kindness to others and appreciate what life has in store for me.
Tonight was a wonderful reminder to look outside the box, out your window, from behind the screen of your phone, camera, computer.
Be there. Right there in it. Because you might not be again.
Actually you won't be, you won't be in the same time, or place and feel the same things again so why not enjoy it and express as much positive energy as you can.
Make life uplifting rather than drowning.

So as I part tonight I am thankful for my job and the people I work with, the money I earn pays for my life and the ticket to tonight's show, I thank Abby my beautiful friend for braving the world in her time of sorrow, to see the show tonight, I hope your heavy heart was lifted if only just a little [I'm thinking of you] and thank you to Mike for gracing us with your presence, beautiful lyrics, music and voice. Adelaide is once again much richer from your visit tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment